Thursday, June 17, 2004

Globetrotting

W00t! The tickets to Australia were delivered to Paula's place today. So now it's all starting to sink in. Scarey, in that vastly thrilling sort of way.

It's also forced me to take stock of what needs to get done before then. Cause October sounds like a long way off, till I realize i will only be spending about 4-5 weeks of that time in Norway.

In eight days I am off for England, for a long weekend in London enroute to a trip home to Canada. I will be in Newfoundland for nearly 6 weeks (yay! and w00t! and other such exclamations of happiness and delight!), returning to london for a few days before hopping another flight back to Norway about the middle of August. Then I have a few weeks to close up this chapter of my life; determine what goes with me and what gets tossed/ left in Duane's care for possible future collection.

How on earth am I going to fit enough for a whole year in two suitcases? I mean, I could fill one with shoes alone! I've never quite grasped the whole "less is more" concept.

Once that is sorted, the plan is to spend some more time in England, this time in Dover. So that will be new. I've travelled fairly exttensively through England, but hhave yet to venture to Dover. Might try to fit in a few days in France; seems silly not to, being so close. Add another country to my European experience.

And then, from Dover back into London for a night or two before setting off for the southern hemisphere.

I should start taking notes in my travel logs how much time i spend in transit/in airports. Over the last few years, I'm willing to bet the amount of time thusly wasted is staggering. It used to be that I would try burying my face in a book, write or listen to music in an effort to use such time productively. But I've come to accept that it rarely works out that way. Mostly, I spend my time wandering (the stretching pre and post flight does wonders for tired muscles), people watching, daydreamsing and the like. And, really, I rarely travel anywhere without meeting at least one really interesting person. I DO need to start keeping better and more regular travel journals though.

No comments: