Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Aging; the good, the bad, the ugly.

The Good;

-I’m a better judge of character, because I just learned to listen to that inner voice that tells me something is wrong.

-Sex is better. Seriously. In my teens and twenty’s, I just went along with whatever my partner wanted, out of fear of being thought of as a slut. With age comes the ability to effectively communicate, and the recognition of what things you really like, and what things just don’t cut it, as well as not really caring if they think you are a slut, just so long as everyone’s happy.

-People take me (more) seriously. No more of that automatic dismissal based on age and a perceived lack of wisdom. I don’t always feel such a need to prove my own worth.

-Life is simpler, on purpose. Drama-laden friendships that were the norm when I was younger started to take a toll on me, so I purged them from my life.

The Bad;

-Without glucosamine supplements, my knees creak when I use the stairs.

-Unless club nights are chemically enhanced, by 2-3 am, I want to go home to bed. I miss watching the sunrise while still sweaty from a dance floor.

-I still get asked for I.D. I could have put this under “good”, except that sometimes I will forget to bring the damned ID.

-Constant fucking questions about when I am going to have kids. I don’t stop you on the street and ask when you plan your next shit, so why the fuck is it ok for you to ask something as intimate as when I plan to procreate?

-I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. And at my age, selfishness is no longer an indulgence that is acceptable to most. People have an odd desire to talk to me about things like retirement savings and investments, when I am still delighted that someone pays me to do next to nothing, thereby funding my weekends. I suspect they also wish I would grow up and stop with the pink/purple hair and the piercings, too.

The Ugly;

-Why the fuck do I have a single chin hair that erupts in the same damned spot over and over again?

3 comments:

Davonshire said...

because god hates you, because you touch yourself!!!! I know, because I study religions!!!!
I am assuming we are somewhere close to, or on or at your birthday, becuase my memory is seive like at the moment, so I am going to wish you Happy Birthday and tell you that I love you, even if jeebus doesn't!

unfoldingsoul said...

Eeeep! Did I miss a birthday? DOH!

Happy happy? :)

stroppywenchnikki said...

Twas on the 16th; and dont stress about it, I often forget it too!
Wheee! 69 more sleeps, Geofie!
Wheee! 75 more sleeps, P!
Mwah