Monday, July 19, 2004

Sleepover

From paper journal, Wensday, July 14th.
_____________________________________
 
What a strange evening. Addrienne and I stopped at my father's overnight, enroute to St. Johns. Always a lesson in patience, time spent with my dad...and always a lesson I fail to absorb, it seems.  Arrived at 6pm, bored out of our skulls by 8 pm.  The non-stop lecturing (that crossed dangerously close into all-out insult) did not help any either. Apparently, this Australia trip "tops all my other insane decisions to date". This includes (amongst other older infractions too far gone in memory to relive here);  my marriage, my girlfriend, my tattoo's/piercings/brandings, and my intersts in BDSM. Funny thing is, I know i have made far worse decisions in my past, and none of the aforementioned things qualify as mistakes.
 
After not-so-poitely telling him to cram his unasked-for opinions up his holy ass, I proceeded to ignore him till he gave in.  Though this rudeness on my part kicked in only after several hours of smiling and nodding or trying to joke him into a lighter mood, i still wound up kicking myself in the ass for it later.  It bothers me that time spent with my dad reduces me to a screaming  child, and i lose all ability to talk as a rational adult, and instead, go on the defensive and throw a hissyfit.
 
Not wanting to risk more nastiness later, i made the decision to hide behind the guise of wanting to be silly and relive my youth by borrowing a tent from my Aunt's place and camping out in the backyard. Dad good naturedly put the anger aside and helped addrienne and i set it up, and gave us a flashlight to ward off the boogeyman. (As an aside, I always thought the name "boogeyman" a silly term for something that is supposed to be scarey; I remember wanting to encounter this creature when i was small cause boogie also means snot which is funny and not at all scarey, but in addition, it means dancing, and i therefore surmrised that he'd be a pretty fun dude).
 
Made a trip to the liquor store for wine, and got asked for ID.  It is amusing to me that I am nearly 31 and still, had to go back to the car and have my girlfriend, several years my junior, go and buy me alcohol. It just adds to the whole juvinille theme i have going lately. I wonder if i am having my mid life crisis now?
 
Grabbed a few minutes alone with dad, and wound up having THE most raw, painfully emotional open and bluntly honest conversations i have ever had. I'll be processing this one for many months to come.
 
After dark, Addrienne and I decided that a walk into the old swimming hole upriver was in order. The normally 4 minute walk up the trail took about a half hour. The flashlight guided walk in the beyond-pitch-black moonless night meant much stoppage so we could squeal and dance about and nearly piss ourselves in fright in every tiny sound or flicker in the reputably bear-inhabited woods. Once we found the spot (not an easy feat when its dark, and I'd not been there in more then a decade), we sat silently for 20 min or so, making absolutely certain we were alone before stripping off and jumping in. If there WERE bears? They were surely frightened off by the screams and howls from the shock of the cold water.
 
Eventually made our way back home (running throught the forest clutching each other, pellmell on hyperdrive, arriving out the other end in about a minute thirty, dried down, nd decided to top off the night by removing the weather fly from the tent, and lying inside looking up throught the mesh top at the star filled sky.  In true naughty teenager fashion, we rounded outt he experience by drinking crappy assed bottles of fruity cheap wine....straight from the bottles. Several hours of mad giggling and numerous trips back into the skeery woods for pee breaks and we finally passed out just before dawn.
 
Packed up tent and left in morning before dad returned home to lunch, leaving a note to say I would drop in later in the week.
 
Interesting though, that my father, the married minister who is several times over a grandfather might have issues with such things as my choice in sexual partners, but he has no problem whatsoever with hitting repeatedly on my girlfriend.
 
I don't know if i will ever recover.

No comments: