Monday, August 13, 2012

Semi-Charmed kinda life

A month ago, I changed jobs. Two months ago I was terrified, having handed in my notice at the job I have held for the past year. A job that was stable, payed well and provided me plenty of future possibility. A job with a company who's ethics I loved, with great benefits and bonuses. The moment I passed the notice in, I began second guessing and doubting. I even spoke with the CFO about withdrawing the resignation. He encouraged me to do so, they offered me a raise if I would stay. But my reasons for leaving were sound, and could not be removed with the addition of a raise.The ongoing stress due to constant micromanagement and interference from my bosses boss, and his constant changing of the rules and complete lack of support- but consistent ability to take all the credit were things that would remain, no matter how much I was paid. Added to that the fact that I know all 5 of my co workers were looking for work elsewhere and my main reason to stay- a great fondness for my team- was in doubt. I've been gone for a month. And it seems like longer. The new role, while not at all challenging, which may in fact border on boring- is in the least peaceful. And that is something I value highly. I've added a few grand to my former salary, and gained and extra hour in my morning, which I've been filling with a little cleaning, a leisurely breakfast and a little exercise. In a few months, when the boredom is more prominent, I'll look around for a course to do to stimulate my brain. We started weight watchers 3-4 months ago, and are consistently (but not rapidly) loosing weight. I've lost 12 kilo's and Tiff has lost 19 kilo's. Just sensible meal planning, no serious amount of exercise added yet. We have bought a zumba kit and are seeking a yoga class we can attend though. We've been spending big on big-ticket items. A new Laptop for Tiff, a new Tablet for me, a home gym system and a big screen LCD flat screen web enable TV. So we are in turn spending more time at home, which is wonderful, as I love my place. I've also recently been reminded how many incredible people I have in my life. I really am blessed in the friends department. Ex's who will drop everything to drive across the city to help me move those big ticket things up our ridiculous set of stairs, friends who step in when we need to re-home a cat, friends who organize fantastic cooking classes, friends who put up their house when we we are in their neck of the woods and need a place to stay- even on weekends when they actually are not at home, friends who offer up their time to mentor us both as we expand our fetish interests. I am humbled by how many hands have reached out to us lately. I am grateful for each and every one of you.

No comments: